April 27, 1992: Bill Clinton was a little-known governor from Arkansas when he began his presidential bid. He joined a crowded field of Democratic candidates — among them were Gov. Jerry Brown of California, Sen. Bob Kerrey of Nebraska, Sen. Tom Harkin of Iowa, and former Sen. Paul Tsongas of Massachusetts.
By the time Pennsylvania’s primary rolled around, however, only Clinton and Brown remained as serious candidates for the party’s nomination. The day before voters went to the polls, Clinton stopped for a noon rally that drew more than 1,000 people to Steelworkers Plaza.
Clinton was joined by his wife Hillary and dozens of leaders from organized labor and the local, state and national Democratic Party. Among them were Richard Trumka, president of the United Mine Workers (he was elected president of the ALF-CIO in 2009), Pittsburgh Mayor Sophie Masloff, Lynn Williams, president of the United Steelworkers of America, County Commissioner Pete Flaherty, Sen. Tom Harkin of Iowa, Sen. Harris Wofford of Pennsylvania, and Robert O’Donnell, Speaker of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives.
Clinton won a commanding victory in Pennsylvania the next day and went on to defeat President George H.W. Bush and independent candidate Ross Perot in the general election.
(Photo by Steve Mellon, Pittsburgh Press)
- hillaryrodhamclintons likes this
- har-sharshar likes this
- larsulrich likes this
- beyondthesurf likes this
- de-girasol likes this
- westernsky likes this
- fuck-yeahbillclinton reblogged this from royallyclinton
- elliesattlers likes this
- thakate likes this
- lionandfox likes this
- confidenceisthebalaclava likes this
- egalitarianmuse reblogged this from awomansplace
- egalitarianmuse likes this
- themitchcase likes this
- mommapolitico reblogged this from awomansplace
- awomansplace reblogged this from xo-hrc
- krazykat404 likes this
- xo-hrc reblogged this from royallyclinton
- royallyclinton reblogged this from pgdigs
- thepittsburghhistoryjournal likes this
- hiplove likes this
- misterpeace likes this
- pgdigs posted this