Sept. 30, 1936: Montgomery Locks and Dam
The Montgomery Locks and Dam has been an essential navigation channel for many industries in the Ohio River Basin for almost 80 years.
The construction of Montgomery Locks and Dam began in 1932. It was completed four year later. This photograph is significant because it was taken one month after Montgomery L&D had begun operation.
The facility is situated on the Ohio River, near Shippingport, Pa., 32 miles downriver from Pittsburgh.
According to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, “Montgomery averages about 450 commercial lockages every month, plus another 275 lockages of pleasure craft during the busy summer months.”
(Photo by William B. Rogers)