Dec. 4, 1948: "Christmas Parade"
Back in 1948, Mt. Lebanon residents greeted Santa Claus with fanfare as the Washington Road business district officially became “Santa Claus Lane.”
This Pittsburgh Press photo shows crowds lining the sidewalks as Santa appeared, behind a blaring band. Santa’s vehicle, drawn by six white horses, was followed by clowns, holiday floats, fire engines and an amphibious duck. Another band brought up the rear of the parade.
A banner strung across Washington Road urged people to “Shop in Mt. Lebanon,” proof that the idea of supporting local businesses instead of large chain stores is not a new consumer philosophy.
By the 1950s, Mt. Lebanon, one of the region’s oldest streetcar suburbs, had widened Washington Road and paved over the bricked street. The marquee for Stevenson Realtors is still there. Today, the business is called Stevenson Williams Management Co.
On this occasion, we at the Digs would like to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas!!
(The Pittsburgh Press photo)
- inconclusivedisrepair reblogged this from pgdigs
- selenecorvinous likes this
- inconclusivedisrepair likes this
- strivingtogetbetter reblogged this from trillchienne
- wearesimplypaperdolls likes this
- remotexconcern likes this
- abishasos reblogged this from donoramusic
- donoramusic reblogged this from pgdigs
- pgdigs posted this