June 24, 1987: "Beach Boys at the Civic Arena"
On the evening of June 24, 1987, the roof of the Civic Arena opened to the summer sky, delighting the 8,963 fans attending a Beach Boys concert that night.
Bill Wade took this photograph from the U.S. Steel Tower after the roof opened at 9:12 p.m.
It was an especially fun and memorable concert because the festive atmosphere included bouncing beach balls. Also, inside the arena, at stage right, there was a beach with six tons of sand, a grass hut, volleyball nets, umbrellas and inflatable beach toys.
Fans were allowed to bring their own food, buy it at the Arena or have it catered by the Pittsburgh Hyatt. Some lucky people sat at tables on the floor; each table cost $600.
Singer Brian Wilson was clean-shaven and slim. On vocals and keyboard was Bruce Johnston.
"As always, the four Beach Boys and their six sidemen rattled through number after number as if their pants were on fire, yet still played each one with energy, conviction and skill. That’s their style," wrote Pete Bishop, a reviewer for The Pittsburgh Press.
- templeofposeidon likes this
- ghostriderii reblogged this from pgdigs
- rlt08 likes this
- jishman reblogged this from pgdigs
- letsdiscodown likes this
- jishman likes this
- handsandwords reblogged this from pgdigs
- handsandwords likes this
- donoramusic reblogged this from pgdigs
- houndogg reblogged this from pgdigs
- chairofbullies likes this
- foreveryourgirl likes this
- kirbypuckett reblogged this from pgdigs
- onefootinthegrave likes this
- pgdigs posted this