April 28, 1989: “Lemieux on the ice in Philadelphia”
Upon hearing last week that pucks would once again fly at the Consol Energy Center, we were inspired to dig though a box of aging prints in search of an historic hockey picture. We found this image of Penguins center Mario Lemieux joining his teammates shortly before a 1989 Patrick Division playoff game against the Flyers in Philadelphia. A few Flyers fans displayed signs that showed remarkable wit (wink, wink).
The Pens lost the series, but it proved a turning point for both teams. The Pens were on the verge of true glory — the team went onto win back-to-back Stanley Cups in 1991 and 1992. The Flyers, on the other hand, were soon to hit a dry spell. They failed even to make the playoffs for the next five seasons.
(Photo by Vince Musi, The Pittsburgh Press)
- thegreatschwank likes this
- hiplove likes this
- hoodclum likes this
- anze-kopitar reblogged this from pgdigs
- ilovesidneycrosby likes this
- zacktanner reblogged this from pgdigs
- girlactionfigure likes this
- chairofbullies reblogged this from pgdigs
- chairofbullies likes this
- handsandwords reblogged this from pgdigs
- handsandwords likes this
- pgdigs posted this