April 30, 1949: "Oakland district as viewed from the Post-Gazette helicopter"
Our first reaction upon seeing this image was one of awe. It’s certainly a stunning picture. Then we chuckled as we read the caption: “This unusual view of the Oakland district landmarks was taken from the Post-Gazette helicopter.”
The Post-Gazette helicopter? Hmmm. Earlier generations of photographers had all the fun.
It’s our good fortune the PG took flight on occasion, if only to provide us with this document of life in Oakland in the late 1940s. Automobiles are parked sardine-like in what is now Schenley Plaza, streetcars mix with automobiles along Forbes Avenue, baseball fans pack Forbes Field and the J&L steel mill roils in the distance. We can’t see the mill because of the smoke, which of course betrays the mill’s presence.
Our files contain several aerial pictures of Oakland. We’re posting three. What struck us about these images is the dramatic change brought about by construction of the 42-story Cathedral of Learning.
In the earliest image, which we suspect was made shortly before Cathedral construction began in 1926, Oakland appears as a collection of stately university buildings encroaching on an area that had only a short time before been mostly rural. The Cathedral would be built on the irregular tract of land in the foreground. In the top left portion of the image, we detect evidence of the construction of Pitt Stadium.
The third image dates from the late 1920s or early ’30s. The Cathedral is incomplete, but we can begin to see how it will soon come to dominate and define the area. In the distance puff the furnaces of the J&L mill, which straddles the Monongahela River. By 1949, the Cathedral towered in all its gothic glory. Today we view this bold structure as an essential part of our city, but its original design met with great resistance within the community. Many felt it was simply too tall.
Oakland has experienced quite a bit of change since ‘49. Gone are Forbes Field and the mill. The parking lot is a park. Our hope is to some day show you these changes. We’ve requested that the editors of the PG establish a helicopter acquisition fund. We’re awaiting a response.
- nilblogger reblogged this from pgdigs and added:
- rumorcontrol reblogged this from bankston
- perfectdepth likes this
- putty58 reblogged this from pgdigs
- rumorcontrol likes this
- bankston reblogged this from pgdigs
- bankston likes this
- darcyrose8 likes this
- mount-cleverest reblogged this from fredredrika
- devdoodles likes this
- got2b-real reblogged this from lonerangers
- lonerangers reblogged this from pgdigs
- sanaathetwin likes this
- titanicfreek likes this
- negativecheese reblogged this from pgdigs
- negativecheese likes this
- gabe0rade reblogged this from pgdigs
- werefollowingthebutterflies likes this
- thevestalslot likes this
- tellmeohtellme reblogged this from pgdigs
- the-depresso-gatsby likes this
- benjamin-beetle reblogged this from wbsteve2716
- gabe0rade likes this
- wbsteve2716 reblogged this from pgdigs
- jishman reblogged this from pgdigs
- elegancepoiseposture likes this
- vic204 reblogged this from pgdigs and added:
- vic204 likes this
- addicted-to-netflix likes this
- misses-unicorn reblogged this from pgdigs
- catsandbreadandbikes reblogged this from pgdigs and added:
- secondsofpleasure likes this
- craezie reblogged this from ephemeralityy
- avoidreality likes this
- katiehopes reblogged this from hail-to-pitt
- magone likes this
- getitstrait likes this
- conqueror-queen reblogged this from hail-to-pitt
- all-those-open-miles likes this
- lwoj reblogged this from hail-to-pitt
- ephemeralityy reblogged this from myurlisspecial
- alieniverson reblogged this from kris-ti-ana
- myurlisspecial reblogged this from quilaura
- iblamemikegreen likes this
- quilaura reblogged this from pgdigs
- red-like-the-night reblogged this from kris-ti-ana and added:
- kris-ti-ana reblogged this from sokorra
- sokorra reblogged this from pgdigs
- janelio reblogged this from one-smallstep
- lhscatnap likes this